Tuesday, January 28, 2014
Sunday, January 26, 2014
Thursday, January 23, 2014
Limited Edition Giclee are now available for some of my artwork in large format, printed on wrapped canvas, signed and dated with a Certificate of Authenticity.
The first set just arrived in preparation for my upcoming show!
See more on Etsy
Wednesday, January 22, 2014
Look for Color Inspiration all around you!
An artful cup of coffee at our local coffee house
(see what I created with this color palette in Artful Color Inspiration)
Thursday, January 16, 2014
No matter your medium, showing artwork in a gallery is scary, exciting, fun, and quite frankly... a lot of work!
The nitty gritty:
- Take good photos that accurately represent the colors in your work to create a portfolio
- Coordinate contract with gallery - how do they handle sales and taxes, what percentages do they take?
- Make sure your insurance policy covers loss or damage to your pieces
- Coordinate with the gallery on how they will handle your pieces:
- Delivery location and timing
- Storage (will your pieces be sitting on the floor or in the back waiting to be hung? How will they be protected?)
- Hanging - do you need special hangers, will they provide?
- Display - do you have a say in how your artwork is displayed?
- Picking up your art after the show
- Plan which pieces to bring:
- What sizes will fit the space
- Choose colors that work well together
- What mix of pieces will demonstrate the breadth of your work
- Make sure website, Etsy shop, etc are up to date and attractive
- Create business cards that direct folks to your website
- Create pricing sheet so gallery can create info cards for each piece (or create your own cards)
- Create inventory sheet with thumb prints, description, price in case of mix-up, loss or theft
- Plan transportation - can everything fit in one car, one trip? How protect your art in transit?
- Coordinate with gallery - Can you preview the display to make sure pieces that go together are displayed together (I once had a necklace, bracelet, earring set dispersed in a gallery because they were focused on like pieces being displayed together, rather than sets)
- Get the word out there - use social media to let everyone know when and where to see your work!
- Is there a 'Show Opening'? If not, create one by sending out the word when you will be there!
Have you shown your artwork in a gallery, or are you preparing to?
What challenges have you faced?