Sunday, February 7, 2016

Use of Artwork

What do you do when someone asks to use your image / your artwork for free?

Every time I get this request, I squirm a bit and have a battle with myself - trying to balance my very real need to make a living with my natural tendency to share what I have with others.

On the one hand, fearful that once it is out there, others may not treat my work with integrity (once I send a high res photo, I have lost control and have consequently had images used for profit - by someone else). On the other hand, thrilled yet humbled by the interest, the potential exposure, the networking opportunities and the desire to connect with others and spread goodwill.

What do you do when someone asks you for a freebee in your business?

Is there a time when it is a win-win?

I would love to hear your thoughts below!

2 comments:

  1. Creative Commons licensing? For non-profits or educators (I am a teacher) you could say yes, subject to conditions. Permission to use, as is, no modifications, no re-distribution, your name prominently credited? For those who are hoping to make gains, require payment, with similar restrictions on use. Love seeing all your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your suggestions! I think the 'with conditions' is very important and I like your list!

      Delete